Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Impressions: Vaseline

This post kicks off what I'm going to call my Mega Moisturizer Series. As I like to say, hydration is power (and also the tag of this series). I like trying out lots of products and since that's what the cosmetic industry banks on, here we are.

I'm also filing everything in the MMS under Back to Basics, because I think moisturizer is really important, not just for your nails but for your skin in general. My skin would look so much worse without moisturizer and let me tell you, the skin under my eyes would look so much worse without fancy moisturizers (my mom says that the dark circles under my eyes make me look like a panda. I tell her that that's just the life of a college student). So, expect me to focus on general moisturizers as well as specific cuticle creams....though I think the latter is a waste of money and regular lotions can work just as well. I believe in the power of multitasking



moisturizer

First up, pure Vaseline (also just pure petroleum jelly). Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of good ole fashioned petroleum (aka crude oil) refinement. Indeed, some environmentalists greatly dislike petroleum jelly because of this, but according to Wikipedia, it is possible to create a generic version of petroleum jelly. So that actually is good news for sustainability purposes. I never really grew up using Vaseline, but I know tons of people who are obsessed with it.

Effectiveness as a moisturizer: Ok, here's the thing. Vaseline IS NOT really a moisturizer. Wait, what? Yeah I know it's confusing but Vaseline is actually a sealant and prevents moisture from evaporating. So no it doesn't moisturize and is not absorbed by the skin, but it does protect the skin. This is also why Vaseline is good for cuts and minor scrapes because it prevents bacteria from entering.

Good for body?: I don't really use it as a lotion since it's not a moisturizer, but it's good for feet. I also use it for my lips since I'm running out of Aquaphor.

Good for nails?: Yes! I do use this for my cuticles since they tend to get raggedly and it helps my skin from ripping more. It's also a good cuticle softener .

Price: The nice thing about Vaseline is that a little goes a long way. I bought a 1.75 oz travel one from Target about 4 months ago for 99 cents and using it on and off I've only gone through barely 1/4 of the tub.

Verdict: Given the price, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have around. I would just get a sample size (1.75oz is what I have, and it's a lot) since it's only 99 cents. I only bought it because I was hoping for a cheap eye makeuup remover but that didn't work on me. It works for other people though. But if you're sure you never need it, save your dollar, especially if you have stuff like Neosporin for minor cuts.

Fun Facts: petroleum jelly has a dissolving effect on latex....so that's my safe sex warning. Also, petroleum jelly is less expensive than glycerol, but it results in a greasy feel in lotions as it just sits on your skin. Therefore, more expensive lotions are more likely to have gycerol instead of petroleum jelly. If you buy a $10 lotion that has petroleum jelly but no glycerol, you know you're getting ripped off.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I totaly agree with you. I use petroleum jelly all the time on my feet. Mainly in the cold months. Slather it on your feet and put on a pair of socks. Really does keep in the moisture in your skin. I find this better than any other expensive cream for my feet. Too greasy for eye makeup remver for me. I just buy a store brand ir better yet go to the dollar store for a giant jar. It keeps forever!

Deez Nailz - Canadas most fabulous hand model said...

A+++ I looove Vaseline for so many things... it's a great 'sealant' I use a regular moisturizer wherever on my body & then a thin layer of Vaseline..... = Awesome.....

It does not end up being greasy if you use a small amount.


I think this is the best solution for dry feet too -after a shower/bath.... using a regular moisturizer then Vaseline... like as much as possible on your feet then a pair of socks just for this purpose = amazing results.

and of course a light light layer with a tiny brush around your cuticles will take care of almost all mistakes from a messy polish application and save you from using polish remover for a clean up...

( I am soooo jaded from all the money I have spent on lotions when I could have just used this stuff for soooo many things ♥)

 
design by suckmylolly.com