- Secure A Screw: Tighten loose screws on cabinets or pot handles by brushing some clear nail polish on screw threads. Insert the screw and let dry before using again.
- Stop Tarnish: Keep costume jewelry from turning black with a coat of clear polish.
- Seal An Envelope: Brush polish on the underside of the flap.
- Mend A Screen: Stop a small hole from getting any bigger by brushing a little clear nail polish over the spot.
- Smooth A Hanger: Don't throw out hangers, just brush polish over the rough edges on wooden or plastic hangers.
- Stop A Pantyhose Run: Put a small run with clear nail polish, this will stop the run until you can replace them.
Most of these practical uses call for clear polish though. Topcoats and basecoats will work fine, but if you can't bear the thought of wasting a precious drop of your favorite topcoat/basecoat on something as trivial as a button, both NYC and Wet n Wild sell clear polishes for 99 cents.